10 recommendations for local governments planning to prepare a climate plan
1. It should be taken into account that awareness of the topic is generally low – both among local government specialists and the general public.
2. The climate plan is horizontal, and within the local government it is necessary to explain how adaptation to climate change affects different fields of activity.
3. Sufficient time must be reserved for the preparation of the plan (including data collection, involvement within the local government)
4. It is important to analyze climate risks to distinguish between important and unimportant issues.
5. The metrics need to be thought through – what is actually measured, where the data is obtained from (e.g. automation options) and what is inferred from the results.
6. The implementation plan is very important and practical projects should go hand in hand with the strategy.
7. Simple wording is necessary!
8. Plans alone do nothing, people who implement do!
9. Involvement of the public (including companies) in the planning period is very important!
10. Adaptation is a project to improve the living environment (greening, biodiversity, nature-based solutions).
Materials for making climate adaptation plan
Materials in Estonian can be found here